Saturday, June 4, 2011

A Different Path

This article touched upon relevant issues, because just last month I had to help my daughter with the complicated decision about what college is the best for her.  What is the best career that will provide a secure future for her? Having been closely involved with all the college applications, attending open houses, and observing my daughter’s frustration in making the best decision. I had to realize that as the article mentioned there are different paths that parents must be aware of to help their children with their college decisions. 
 I heard many times how parents are so proud to mention the Ivy League’s schools that their children are attending. Also, I witnessed some cases in which students dropped their dream career after the first or two semesters of  college because the expectations were  overwhelming.  The negative aspect of college default on parents shoulder lots of debt, frustration and shame. I agree with the article that getting a degree from an Ivy League school does not necessarily guarantee a well paid job. Therefore, it is not wise for parents to force students to attend expensive colleges and so the alternative option of a community college appears more acceptable. However, I disagree with the author when he mentioned about Ted “you don’t have to go to college if you don’t want to, and that there other avenues to achieving that future.” I think that giving student’s freedom to obtain a degree or not, would not benefit them. It is well known that a college degree provides students with the knowledge and experience that is otherwise unable to receive from a secondary education, and nowadays the job market is increasingly more competitive than before. So, Why is it important to go to college? My answer is that, more than ever, attending colleges provides opportunities for graduates which are not as widespread to those who have not received  a higher education.









8 comments:

  1. I have to say I really enjoyed reading your response to the article. I have had this discussion many times now. Wondering if going to college and having a boat load of student loans to pay back compared to going into a trade and not having to pay back a penny was the correct move to make for my future. I totally agree that college and having a degree opens more doors and gives many more oppertunities, but is the debt worth it? I dont believe that students who go to college should have to deal with the burden of financial debt simply because they decided to go to college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quick video... Ken Robinson is great... what a thinker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is important for everybody to attend college. Not only because of the academic aspect but for the social aspect as well. We learn lessons in college that we will take with us for the rest of our lives

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree the job market is very competitive now more than ever and employers look for people that have a degree but also have experience. It also depends on the field you're going into and the state. Some occupations pay more if the employee has a college degree and I would rather get paid more because I took that extra step to get a graduate degree. Experience is another issue that is a problem, because college graduates do not have the experience that perspective employers are looking for. The article states that credits may not transfer if you decide to switch schools, and that personally happened to me. I decided to go to college in Virginia and did not like it, so I transferred to a school in Maryland and not all of my credits transferred. So I was behind and had to make up credits every summer to catch up. I originally went for an elementary education major but was told I wouldn't be able to graduate on time so I changed my major to sociology. So transferring schools is not always the best decision. I also worked in the city for a year and a half after graduating college and many people that I worked with did not have a bachelors degree. Most of those people have been working there for years and they told me that they could not look for another job because they do not have a degree, even though they have many years of experience. So it's interesting to see how important a college degree is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A college undergraduate degree today is what it was to hold a highschool diploma in the last millenia. Hopefully a masters degree does not deminish in value similarly. My younger brother earned his masters last may, but has been unaible to move beyond the retail job he held while completing his studies. Help us President Obama, you're our only hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought your response to this article was very interesting and relatable. I enjoyed how you related this article to your personal life. I was able to relate your response to my own personal life. It made me so greatful to have my parents support my college career and give me the push to further my education!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I support both sides ( going to college vs. other venues)

    I support going to college because college isn't only about making money it is also about self-education or education for the self. Personally speaking, when I became very ill at the end of my third year of college my education did me good. I was instilled with various tools that helped me better cope with my illness such as knowing how to speak professionally, advocating for my self, and by becoming more mature. I thank my education for specially opening up my mind enough to allow me to get well sooner.

    However, I also support other venues as an option because there are many students that know how to direct their educational careers. 7In other words, they are able to know what they need to education their selves in and are resourceful enough to know where to go to get what they want. Also, often times a student may want to take a break from their learning and focus on more hands on activities then go on to learn. But also, one must keep in mind that for some the longer they are away from college, the harder it may become to go to college ( I have seen and heard this from family members)

    At the end of the day, it is important to turn to those who support you for support on what to do with your life because they may see you from a different perspective that you may not have been your self.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that college is not for everyone,perhaps a way to survive but not the only way to live with purpose. If schools arent engaging students then they will not see college as an option

    ReplyDelete